Sunday, December 16, 2012

german gingerbread recipe

It is tradition in our family to make a gingerbread house for Christmas. Usually I am off the hook since my mom volunteers, but the last couple of years I have been on my own. I still use her recipe, however I am using whole wheat which brought me a raised eyebrow from my mother, but no one else noticed.



 
what you need:

500g honey
250g raw cane sugar (refined is traditional)
250g coconut oil
1000g whole wheat pastry flour
50g chocolate powder
3 eggs
2 tbsp rum (or rosewater)
10g cardamon
10g cinnamon
5g ground clove
10g baking soda


what you do:


  • combine the honey, sugar and coconut oil in a large pot
  • bring it to bubble over medium heat
  • let it cool down
  • add the other ingredients and mix well until you got an even dough
  • refrigerate over night
  • roll the dough out and cut out the cookies (stars and flowers are fun to decorate with icing)
  • if you are doing a ginger bread house the thickness should be close to 1 cm
  • bake for 15-20 minutes at 390 Fahrenheit (really depends on the size or your cookies)I tend to make big cookies and decorate the tree with it

No comments:

Post a Comment