Sunday, July 1, 2012

basic german coleslaw recipe


We were invited to a barbeque today and since my friend is very pregnant I wanted at least to bring a salad along. Being sleep deprived from the night before and my always demanding kids I needed to come up with something simple and quick. Here it is:


Ingredients:

1 white cabbage
1 small onion 
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup olive oil (or any other vegetable oil)
1/2 cup of sugar
pinch of salt



how to get there:
  • chop the cabbage very fine (I used my kitchen aide)
  • chop the onion
  • mix vinegar, sugar, salt and oil in a small pan and heat until it starts to bubble
  • pour the sauce over the cabbage and onion and set a side for at least 2 hours (24 hours is even better)

Guten Appetit!!

Tip: one time I actually used a whole cup of sugar and my husband likes it that way even better, so if you like it sweet you might try that, if you are not a big onion fan you could use just 1/2 of an onion. The oil serving is also on the generous side, so do not hesitate to use less.

No comments:

Post a Comment